Friday, July 8, 2011

Attempt #1 – FAILED

I don’t know if it’s just me, but it’s really hard to find a good protein bar that isn’t loaded with all the sugar and actually have more than 10g of protein. Not to mention.. trying to stock up on them can get a little pricey, especially for broke newlyweds. SO – I decided to go on a hunt for a homemade protein bar recipe. Well if you type, ‘homemade protein bar’ into google you’ll see that there are pages full of different recipes. Yet, they all claim to be, ‘great tasting and delicious’. Well I found the first recipe to scratch off my list.

I decided to make this recipe for two reasons:

1. It seemed pretty simple to throw together and I had all the ingredients.

2. All the reviews on this particular recipe were given five stars.

I thought those were pretty good incentives to give it a test drive, don’t you?!

This recipe consisted mainly of protein powder, flax seed, natural applesauce, egg whites, vanilla, and peanut butter (from what I remember – give or take a little). After putting it all together it had the consistency of brownie mix. Then I put it into an 8x8 pan and threw it in the oven to cook for about 15-20 minutes. While it was cooking, the smell reminded me of brownies too - Let’s just say I was getting pretty excited! I took them out of the oven; the top was a nice golden brown and evenly cooked. I cut out a square to taste test…and… let’s just say they did NOT taste like brownies or anything close to that! I think the worst part about them was the texture. NASTY!!

I do have to say the best part of this experience was getting to see Austin’s face when he took a bite into a protein bar. His face was priceless! I have never seem him spit something out so fast! However, I did give him a fair warning…

Welp, back on the hunt for a good recipe!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know of some awesome ones! Low fat, sugar and carbs. The brand is carb conscious. I can't remember off the top of my head how much protein are in them, but it's like 25+. OR you could try these other ones from Costco called Nugo Bars. They're pretty good. :)

Thomas said...

You'll have to let me know the names of those ones if you remember! I have found some I like but never enough protein and I don't like some of the ingredients used. I wish Cedar City had a Costco and I'd try them out! Thanks for the tips! ;)